Friday, June 3, 2011

Attack Of The 50 Ft. Bridesmaids

They are going to destroy this town if you piss them off.

I hate chick flicks.

They make me incredibly angry because most of them insult the intelligence of women and some of them tend to even go so far as to have really insipid and stupid jokes that insult womanhood and even make us feel ashamed to be women.

Enough of my feminist rant. Let's get on to my review of Bridesmaids.

I have heard a few things about Bridesmaids being like The Hangover, just with women. Seeing the trailers and commercials for this film made me think that it is this type of movie, but after seeing it, it's a little bit more like Superbad in terms of its heart and spirit. 

This is one of the problems that I have with ads for films. They make a movie to be one thing and then when you actually see it, it's something completely different.

I am not saying that Bridesmaids is a terrible movie. It's actually surprisingly good. What I am saying is that a little truth in advertising wouldn't hurt.

Anyway, Bridesmaids is not like The Hangover. It does have some raunchy moments, but it's not a fair comparison to make. Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrnne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendie McLendon-Clovey (who you may remember from Reno 911), and Elle Kemper are the dysfunctional group of bridesmaids and Bride (Rudolph) who go through mishaps and the odd rituals of the wedding culture.

I wish I could say that this movie is satirizing the whole Bridezillas and extravagant wedding obsessed culture that we live in. In some ways it does but in other ways it also celebrates it.

The movie is incredibly funny but it also has some flaws, as with many films.

The beginning of the movie doesn't start out as a typical chick flick, but when you get towards the end of the film, it falls into the same traps and cliches that many chick flicks do. 

On a technical level, there aren't too many problems with the film. There are some scenes that were in the ads that could have been put in to the film, but I digress.

The Bridesmaids themselves have their own quirks and personalities. One of my favorites would have to be Megan (Melissa McCarthy). She's incredibly funny, well adjusted and has her life together. Of all of the Bridesmaids and even in some of the films geared towards women, Megan is one of the best characters ever conceived  Melissa McCarthy is incredibly funny and she truly stands out from the crowd. I would love to see her in more films.

Kristen Wiig and the rest of the ladies are fantastic and they all have great chemistry together. It is my opinion that Kristen Wiig should leave SNL and do more films. She is much funnier in films than she is on SNL

This movie is not so much about the misadventures of the Bridesmaids as it is more about Annie (Kristen Wiig) getting her life back on track. Again Bridesmaids is not an accurate title for the film, but I guess they really couldn't come up with another title for it. Although major kudos for having Mad Men's Jon Hamm and The IT Crowd's Chris O'Dowd play Annie's love interest.

Overall, Bridesmaids is a funny film, but for a movie that tries to be so different from all of those Chick Flicks, it ends up falling into the same traps as the other chick flicks do.

Will this movie make me like Chick Flicks? No it will not, but I like this movie as it is.

My name is Maricruz Gonzalez and I'm the Movie Bitch...because somebody has to be.

Stay Sassy Planet Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment