Sunday, May 6, 2012

Tom Green Got Fingered By Criterion

I can't believe that I live in a world in which this film...

Yes...this movie.

Is now being considered by some critics and film students as a brilliant piece of Avant-Garde Cinema. The question I have to ask is...

WHY?!

No really, somebody please explain this to me! I am honestly dying to know. I will take a stab at it but in all fairness, it's going to be really difficult to do so.

When Tom Green rose to prominence in the late 90's largely thanks to MTV, Green's humor was well received by the 12-14 demographic (including me and my older brother).  Green thrived on annoying everyone in his path by shocking and grossing people out for his amusement and pleasure. Why, I have no idea and people thought it was funny. Then again, this is the same network that launched shit like Road Rules, The Real World and Jersey Shore, so your guess is as good as mine.

Pretty soon Tom Green became a star in Hollywood and the studios decided, why not give him $15 million to write, star, produce and direct this piece of shit. The result of this action would be, well, let's just say, "chaotic."

I can only imagine this is how the meeting went with the Studio Heads.
I'm also assuming after the agreement was made, everyone put their hands in the air in celebratory fashion and shouted "Great! Pass the cocaine!"

I saw this film when I was 15 or 16 and I hated it, mainly because it was purely stupid and it almost made my brain explode. I re-watched again recently (thanks to these wonderful folks) and now I need to give my take and analysis on this film.

First of all, the main plot centers around Gord (Green) and his aspirations to be an animator and his really fucked up relationship with his dad (Rip Torn, who is really better than this). Gord and his dad have a very bad relationship and its easy to see why, Gord is still stuck in the infantile state.

One of the main motifs that recurs in this film are phallic symbols, mainly, sausages and penises. In feminist and psychological theory, the penis is often interpreted as the symbol and sign of masculinity and even Sigmund Freud talks about this in great length too. Freddy Got Fingered  is filled with phallic symbols throughout the entire movie. It's almost as if I was watching an entire movie about dongs. 

There is also a lot of food involved too. Mainly sausages. This is the scene in which I remember from the commercials...

SAUSAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gord, is playing on his keyboard, with sausages tied to him, singing "Daddy, would you like some sausage? Daddy would you like a sausage?"

Yeah.

Where do I even begin with this scene. 

Rip Torn understandably loses his shit in the scene and gets tangled in the sausages and even rips them away from Gord and destroys them. This could be interpreted as the father taking away the son's masculinity and identity as a man in the patriarchal sense, or I can ascribe to Freud's belief in that "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Let's not forget Gord's handicapped girlfriend who is a rocket scientist and is obsessed with giving him a blowjob. Good luck with that one film theorists.

The rest of the movie is a series of Tom Green's antics that are gross, shocking, tasteless and just batshit insane. 

This is the face of a sociopathic mad man.

Let's not forget the other scenes in which he swings a newborn around by its umbilical cord (I am not making this one up) and jacks off an elephant and has the elephant jiz sprayed in Rip Torn's face. So much psychological film theory involved there.

Yeah.

I think I have said all that you need to know about this film. Eventually Gord gets his show green lit, leaves the US with his dad and then they come back as heroes. What?

A film of this type is its own special brand of crazy. The kind of crazy that I can't even top. This movie is on the same level as The Room is in the sense that, it's so awful, yet you can't look away. I may be able to understand what Tom Green was trying to do with his show and with this film. Feel free to disagree with me all you like. I am going to have to take the Nostalgia Chick and Oancitizen's position in this film and Tom Green in general as an elaborate "fuck you," to Hollywood and the comedies that were coming out during that time period.

If you really take the time to analyze the film (god help you if you do), the gross out, shock, tasteless humor in this film, was also being used in other comedy films of the late 90's and early to mid 00's. I can see how this film is mocking the kind of films that the Scary Movie crew, the Farrelly Brothers (which reminds me, I have to do The Three Stooges), American Pie, National Lampoon and Adam Sandler movies were doing at the time but to a much higher and disgusting degree. 

It's also to see how this film can be considered a bit of a cult film because of how bizarrely surreal it really is in the grand scheme of things. You can't even believe half of the things that are happening on screen. 

I can also see how Tom Green's humor and antics have also influenced and paved the way for such weird and surreal comedy such as Tim and Eric's Awesome Show Great Job and Steve Brule's Check It Out.

Tom Green was a comedy troll at best. His style was trolling. It's also the same style that Tim and Eric have as well.


In retrospect, this film is still a piece of shit, but in a strange way, I have to admire a man who made a film like this that basically shits on Hollywood and their idea of comedies and manages to make it "surrealist art" if anything else. That's only kind of "art" I could kindly classify it as anyway. It's not brilliant, but the recurring motif with the phallic symbols (sausages and penises), destructive father-son relationships and bodily fluids (sperm) does deserve some sort of examination under the basis of psychological and film theory if anything.

Or I can simply take Freud's position and say, "Sometimes a piece of shit film, is just a piece of shit film."

I'm Maricruz Gonzalez and I'm the Meta Fatale. At war with popular culture since 1987.

Stay Sassy Planet Earth!

P.S. Check out Nostalgia Chick and Oancitizen's review of Freddy Got Fingered.



1 comment: